Senior Criticality Consultant or Senior Shielding Consultant
An opportunity exists for a senior criticality consultant in the Nuclear Safety team. The team provides assessment, support and advice to a range of external customers, as well as supporting NNL’s own active facilities. The team has traditionally specialised in criticality assessment, but is now also growing its capability in shielding assessment.
The successful candidate will have technical leadership responsibility for the effective delivery of nuclear safety (criticality) support to a variety of internal and external customers, including supporting the customer in setting the technical direction of the work. The successful candidate will be expected to ensure that a high quality service to existing customers is sustained, overseeing the work and participating in the mentoring and supervision of less experienced members of the team.
- Technical leadership and delivery of nuclear safety projects for internal and external customers. This includes: (i) working with the customer to scope the technical direction of the work; (ii) technical delivery; (iii) supervision of junior assessors and QA checking; (iv) ensuring all assigned deliverables meet the agreed standards of time, cost and quality.
- Maintain and develop customer networks and act as an interface to deliver growth.
- To work to current internal and external guidance and best practice with a proactive approach in order to keep abreast of issues relating to nuclear safety (and thus maintain skills).
- Input to bids for new external work.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven track record in the technical leadership of criticality and/or shielding assessment, particularly in the provision of fit-for-purpose safety support services to agreed standards of time, cost and quality.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, as the role involves working closely with project teams covering a wide range of technical disciplines from both internal/external customers.
- Experience of training and mentoring personnel in criticality and/or shielding assessment techniques and methodologies.
- Self-motivation to work independently to meet challenging deadlines and an ability to logically and efficiently think through issues, enabling safe and cost effective solutions to be achieved.
- Excellent organisational skills, as the role involves the management of delivery of work in accordance with programmes, including the supervision of other team members.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.