Senior CE&I Design Engineer
The Engineering Design Team provides engineering design support across NNL and in the wider nuclear industry. We cover all aspects of engineering design such as optioneering studies, concept design, detail design, manufacturing, testing and installation. Our expertise includes the supply of active research and development rigs and analytical equipment, and the modification of existing nuclear process plant.
The role of the Senior CE&I Design Engineer is to provide engineering and scientific support to:-
- The design, build, testing, development, commissioning and on-site installation of active rigs and analytical equipment to support scientific research and development work in the nuclear industry.
- The modifications of existing active and non-active nuclear facilities (e.g. for upgrades, changes in feeds or process requirements).
- The troubleshooting of existing nuclear equipment and plant as required.
- To perform paper based concept designs, strategic optioneering and ad-hoc research to client specifications, collating results, analysing data and the generation of technical reports.
- The innovative development of engineered solutions from a design brief and/or plant survey.
- Liaising with safety assessors, facilities personnel, project stakeholders and other scientific/engineering disciplines as required to provide fit for purpose engineered solutions either by self or through the use of supporting engineers and designers.
- The supervision of small engineering teams to deliver engineering work packages.
- Undertaking calculations to support / underpin the design and authoring technical reports and design memos.
- Undertake the checking of engineering work performed by others.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on issues appropriate to their working area.
- Comply with all legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
- Liaise with project managers to ensure that work is delivered to meet time, cost, quality and safety requirements.
- Demonstrable experience in dealing with supply chain, from scoping requirements and authoring procurement specification through to overseeing contract delivery as necessary.
- Initiation and progression of the procurement process, including liaison with suppliers and manufacturers, through delivery and inspection.
- Active involvement in improvement projects/initiatives.
- Keep abreast of developments in their own field and applying them to designated work packages.
- Provision of technical supervision for technician and craft personnel.
- Provide coaching to develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Requirement to travel is expected, between NNL locations and customer locations.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or closely related subject and a relevant level of experience.
- Knowledge of the legislative, regulatory, quality and environmental requirements relating to engineering development projects.
- Competency in AutoCAD / AutoCAD LT desired with the ability and flexibility to undertake own CAD work if necessary.
- Competent in electrical building services, up to date with relevant legislation and standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, such that difficult concepts can be conveyed clearly and concisely to customers, regulators and key stakeholders.
- Evidence of problem solving and seeking solutions.
- Chartered Engineer.
- Good knowledge of nuclear industry and plant operations.
- Capable of designing safety related systems to BS EN 61508 and Sellafield Standard ES_1_2190-1, 2 & 3.
- Knowledge of CAESAR and AMTECH software.
- Self-motivated, high energy contributor.
- Questioning attitude.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
About the Company
NNL plays a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We are the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. We pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory