NNL is not like any other business, and our Apprenticeships are like no other. Our Apprentices are our future, which is why we have a dedicated apprentice programme – ‘Beginner to Winner’ – which supports our apprentices in their personal development whilst they are completing their apprenticeship.
To welcome you into the business, all our NNL apprentices join a 3 day induction programme. This will give you an understanding of the business, the programme you will follow and what we’ll expect from you during your apprenticeship. Following your induction, you’ll attend training sessions focusing on personal development at three monthly intervals. These cover a range of skills from time management to team working. We’ll learn about you together.
We even have a dedicated apprentice co-ordinator who is there to ensure that you are settling into your apprenticeship at NNL, both in the workplace and at College.
Discover our Scientific Apprenticeship:
As a nuclear Scientist, you will be working at the forefront of the nuclear research and development programme that makes NNL one of the world leaders in nuclear energy. Scientific technicians are needed to test and calibrate equipment as well as undertake investigations and analyse samples. You will work with hazardous substances, you will learn about health and safety procedures and safe working practices.
For your Scientific Apprenticeship you will spend four days of your week onsite with your technical team at NNL, and attend College on a day release. You will study a relevant scientific qualification to your technical team, learning things such as:
- Sampling and titrations
- Conduct investigations and tests
- Assess data and write reports
- Dealing with technical data
- Develop presentation techniques
During the Apprenticeship:
- You will be aware of health and safety regulations
- You will be improving your working relationship skills both across the company and within your project teams
- You will manage information and use computers
- You are likely to work with hazardous substances
- You will manage data and produce reports
- You will create presentations on work you have completed
As part of this apprenticeship there are two entry points Advanced & Degree level. Should you wish to be considered for the Degree level entry, this will mean that NNL will pay for you to gain a Degree in Chemistry, and we’ll pay you a salary while you’re learning.
The Ideal Candidate
- You'll already have a good academic background when you apply for an apprenticeship with us. You should have attained 5 GCSE's A-C (New Grading 9-4) including Maths & English.
- You will be on track to achieve or have attained A-Levels at a Pass mark minimum (one of which must be Chemistry) or a BTEC in Chemistry at a Pass grade.
We’re looking for people who can be part of our future. People who want to succeed and have the commitment and motivation to get there. People who ask questions and demand answers, who’ll be open to learning and work hard.
We’re looking for bright, enthusiastic achievers who’ll want to be part of our mission to grow the nuclear industry. Applicants must be 18 or over (or by September 2018).
National Nuclear Laboratory