Safe System of Work Controller
The Safe Systems Controller is a highly visible position of authority within NNL supporting the Engineering Manager to ensure the company’s continued compliance to all regulations governing the nuclear industry and Site Licence Conditions. The role is responsible for monitoring change, assessing the impact and coordination of the activities required to achieve compliance in the most effective way for the business. The ideal candidate will be experienced in working in a regulatory capacity, detail oriented, and able to work to stringent deadlines.
- Accountable for ensuring safety, quality, risk and security of all work and isolations are maintained and promoted at all times through regular inspections of the workplace
- Provide advice and guidance on issues appropriate to their working area
- Issue and communicate safety documentation/information for their prescribed area of responsibility
- Produce, comment, maintain and archive SSOW documentation ensuring accurate records are maintained
- ·Audit compliance to Safe System of Work and report/initiate any necessary remedial action
- ·Comply with legislative, regulatory and company procedures and standards e.g. safety, quality, risk, security appropriate to the role
- ·Attend any forums (internal or external) as requested to keep abreast of best practices around other NNL Laboratories, responsible for sharing and implementing any learning
- ·Proactively look to improve systems in the working area utilising best practices
- ·Maintain independence to prevent any conflict between safety and production
- Responsible for undertaking walk downs of their area of responsibility so they maintain focus on the plant status when setting people to work
- Provide input to safety committees as and when requested through providing peer review and robust challenge to documentation, in order to provide information associated with their area of responsibility e.g. Plant Modification Proposals (PMP) Committee or Commissioning Sub Committee (CSC)
- Accountable for ensuring that their SSOW Office logs are compiled as per defined log keeping procedures and present a true account of plant status
The Ideal Candidate
- Compliance professional, educated to degree level or HND/HNC with significant experience.
- Hold IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent as a minimum qualification
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area of responsibility
- Must demonstrate an ability to analyse and interpret complex information from several, sometimes conflicting sources, with a proven problem solving ability in order to make decisions based upon this information
- Highly motivated with the ability to communicate concepts to diverse audiences with varying skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of operational & maintenance requirements
- Ability to remain calm under stressful circumstances
- Requirement to become appointed as a Safe System of Work Controller
- Requirement to become appointed as Building Controller
- Requirement to become appointed to emergency response role e.g. Access Controller, Deputy Access Controller, Board Person
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
National Nuclear Laboratory