Project Design Delivery Manager
The Engineering Design Team provides engineering design support across NNL and in the wider nuclear industry. We cover all aspects of engineering design such as optioneering studies, concept design, detail design, manufacturing, testing and installation. Our expertise includes the supply of active research and development rigs and analytical equipment, and the modification of existing nuclear process plant.
NNL are undertaking a number of significant design / refurbishment projects within their facilities at Sellafield. A number of projects are already in flight at varying stages in the project lifecycle and further projects are due to commence once the appropriate resources have been secured.
In order to support these projects, it is necessary to establish a role of Project Design Delivery Manager (PDDM) to act as conduit between the project management team and the design team. Working closely with the Engineering Design Manager and the Design Engineers, the PDDM needs to understand the design delivery requirements for the various projects. With this knowledge, the PDDM can work with project managers and engineers to facilitate decisions such as recruitment and reallocation of resources to drive the delivery. Sitting between the project management team and the design team, the PDDM will articulate the requirements of the project manager in terms of programme and costs, whilst keeping the project manager abreast of the design challenges and risks.
- To co-ordinate the deployment of Design resources across multiple projects on behalf of NNL.
- The role will require weekly progress meeting to be run with the Design team to gather information for progress reporting, risk identification and change control management.
- Attend monthly accountabilities reporting on SPI and CPI figures for Design delivery.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with the supply chain as part of the resource solution.
- Monitor, review and provide timely and accurate reporting on engineering design status and progress against schedules, evaluate deviations, develop recovery plans and initiate / coordinate corrective action when required.
- Prepare periodic forecasts of engineering design resource needs and coordinate with Projects and the Engineering Design Manager to mobilize/demobilize/reallocate internal and external design engineering resources.
- Monitor engineering design progress, analyse and accurately report to the Project Managers.
The Ideal Candidate
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in Engineering or related subject and a relevant level of experience.
- Working knowledge of staged design processes.
- Significant EPC project planning experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Evidence of problem solving and seeking solutions.
- Highly self-motivated, demonstrable drive and energy and a willingness to deliver value and quality for the customer.
- Familiar with Microsoft Project and/or Primavera.
- Report writing skills and effective communication skills are essential, IT proficiency expected in Microsoft Office products.
About the Company
NNL plays a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We are the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. We pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory