The role is within the Materials, Plant Inspection and Development team based at the NNL Central laboratory.
The successful candidates will be expected to provide plant inspection and development support to chemical process plant on the Sellafield Site. You should have a qualification in Materials Science or related subject, have excellent communication and presentation skills and be able to work effectively in a team.
- Provide expert advice on plant inspection tools and techniques, condition monitoring and lifetime assessment.
- Carry out on plant inspections/condition assessments using a variety of visual inspection and NDT techniques.
- Responding to ad hoc technical issues with advice or more formal technical reporting as appropriate.
- Produce technical documents with results of inspections together with recommendations.
- Produce technical papers for plant inspection and development topics and present them at conferences
- Peer review technical documents produced within the Plant Inspection and Development team.
- Represent NNL at Customer technical and commercial meetings.
- Develop proposals for inspection and monitoring techniques to address customer requirements.
- Develop deployment techniques and tooling to access difficult/harsh environments.
- Generate new and innovative ideas for exploitation via customer funding, internal R&D and technology commercialisation.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree in materials science, mechanical engineering or chemical engineering or HND/HNC in above with significant experience.
- Ability to solve customer related technical issues.
- Self-starter with strong customer focus.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Supervision of technical staff during inspections and surveys
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory