The Permit Controller issues all safe systems of work permits within Preston Laboratory, ensuring all tasks undertaken are within safety legislation, company and local procedures.
- Issue Permit to Work (PtW) to nominated personnel under NNL procedures.
- Review safety documentation, including risk assessments, method statements, COSHH assessments, cross boundary isolations.
- Manage PtW documentation, ensuring accurate records are maintained for future reference.
- Comply with legislative, regulatory, company procedures and standards. Ensure safety, quality, risk and security of intrusive work and isolations are maintained and promoted.
- Provide advice and guidance on safe systems of work to Persons conducting/planning Work.
- To be pro-active in the improvement of systems in the working area utilising best practice.
- Undertake self-audits and peer audits in addition to task observations to monitor compliance with procedures
- Brief OEF to staff through tool box talks.
- To interface / liaise with other PtW and Supervisors to manage peak workloads.
- Host pre job briefs.
The Ideal Candidate
- Knowledge of Mechanical & Electrical Isolation Processes & Procedures.
- Provide evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Demonstrable ability to make the safe decision including when under pressure.
- Demonstrable effective communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of personnel.
- Provide evidence of a good working knowledge of process operations/building services and SSOW procedures.
- Ability to maintain accurate, concise, legible records in the PtW office.
- Engineering background.
- IOSH Managing Safely or working towards a NEBOSH General Certificate.
- Experience in managing sub contractors.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory