The Post Irradiation Examination (PIE) team supports a number of large, long-term projects on behalf of several of NNLs major customers. The team provides information on the performance of reactor materials supporting the ongoing operation of the UK reactor fleet. This role is primarily based in the Windscale Laboratory but the successful candidate will be required to assist in a minimum on two pond surveys (10 days per survey) at reactor sites across the UK, per year.
The role offers the opportunity to work within a successful team and gain skills in the remote inspection and analysis of irradiated materials. It offers opportunities for the right candidate to develop into a supervisory role.
- Undertake remote examinations, including the use of digital photography and micro/macroscopy
- Operate and maintain experimental equipment used to measure the physical dimensions and properties of irradiated samples
- Maintain logbooks and record sheets for sample testing and traceability
- Input data into spreadsheets
- Ensure all work is completed safely and accurately maintaining traceability and quality at all times
- Communicate with staff across teams
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven ability to conform to appropriate safe systems of work.
- Proven ability to perform tasks within defined timescales and in accordance with quality management standards.
- GCSE Grade C or above in English. Maths and Science
- SC Cleared (or ability to become so).
- Under the terms of NNL's Head Contract, this vacancy is open to UK nationals only, who are prepared to undergo clearance to SC level.
- Classified radiation worker with active area working experience.
- Previous experience of remote handling techniques would be an advantage.
- Computer literate.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.