Operations and Technical Support Assistant
Role: The role is within the NNL’s Radiochemistry Team and will be based at the Central Laboratory. The team is responsible for delivering a number of customer funded projects as well as Internal Research and Development.
The role will require you to work within the active area fumehoods and gloveboxes delivering a number of tasks relating to aqueous recycle of nuclear fuel and plutonium storage. As part of the role you will be expected to interface with a number of other NNL capabilities and travel to customer or supplier sites may be required.
Attributes: Good communication skills, ability to work well in teams, self-motivated and pro-active in approach are required.
- Provision of specified services to internal/external customers to agreed standards.
- Provide direct support to a manager or group of staff.
- Interpret instructions and produces good quality output safely and to time.
- Provide technical information, checking validity and records within appropriate guidelines.
- As appropriate, participates in the preparation of technical reports and assessments within agreed timescales.
- Where appropriate, develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Work within budgetary limits.
- Ensures detailed work records are maintained in accordance with laid down procedures.
- Ensures all relevant safety rules and procedures are applied by all staff.
- Complies with legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
The Ideal Candidate
- A PhD in Chemistry or similar scientific subject (with ability to work towards chartered status) or demonstrable experiemce in a laboratory environment.
- Enhanced security clearance (at least SC) or a willingness to undertake further security clearance.
- A proven aptitude for problem solving.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- The ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Good IT skills.
Desirable (but not essential)
- Knowledge of the nuclear industry.
- Experience of handling nuclear and radioactive materials.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.