Operations and Technical Support Assistant
Role: Is competent to provide a technical support service in the development and implementation of project type programmes.
Attributes: Good communication skills, ability to work well in teams, self-motivated and pro-active in approach are required.
- Provision of specified services to internal/external customers to agreed standards.
- Provide direct support to a manager or group of staff.
- Interpret instructions and produces good quality output safely and to time.
- Provide technical information, checking validity and records within appropriate guidelines.
- As appropriate, participates in the preparation of technical reports and assessments within agreed timescales.
- Where appropriate, develop the skills and abilities of others for the benefit of the company.
- Work within budgetary limits.
- Ensures detailed work records are maintained in accordance with laid down procedures.
- Ensures all relevant safety rules and procedures are applied by all staff.
- Complies with legislative, regulatory and company policy standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role.
The Ideal Candidate
- A Degree in Chemistry or similar scientific subject (with ability to work towards chartered status) or a minimum of 5 years experience in a laboratory environment.
- A proven aptitude for problem solving.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- The ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Good IT skills.
Desirable (but not essential)
- Classified Person with SC or DV security clearance.
- Knowledge of the nuclear industry.
- Experience of handling nuclear and radioactive materials.
- Experience in active fumehood and glovebox operations.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory