Operations Compliance Officer
The Operations Compliance Officer shall permission all work activities within their area of responsibility in support of customer work and maintenance programmes.
They shall provide assurance these activities are being undertaken in a safe and compliant manner, so as to meet all requirements of the Nuclear Site Licence and all Regulatory and Legislative purposes.
- Shall be responsible for the provision of a safe and secure plant in their area(s) of responsibility.
- Provide assurance that nuclear safety remains compliant within their area(s) of responsibility and where not, is able to demonstrate that appropriate managerial control has been applied.
- Responsible for providing up front support, peer review and authorisation of all work packages (routine or non-routine) destined for their area(s) of responsibility.
- Undertaking scheduled plant surveillance checks for their area(s) of responsibility and managing any corrective actions raised.
- Ability to apply Conservative or Operational Decision Making (CDM/ODM) when fault conditions dictate the need.
- As the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for their area(s) of responsibility they shall keep abreast of all applicable Rules and Regulations and manage their application.
- Responsible for controlling all access under defined security arrangements for their area(s) within their remit
- The primary interface for all discussions with the Site Operations Compliance Manager (OCM) and the enabling route to permission other parties to interface with the Site OCM when required.
- Shall be the primary point of contact for any incidents / events occurring within their area(s) of responsibility and will take initial control and manage the situation
- Required to attend various safety committees e.g. MSC, PMP Committee to provide expert knowledge of their area(s) of responsibility
- Required to attend various forums (internal and external) to keep abreast of best practice and implement this back into the workplace
- Responsible for permissioning all visits to take place (or decline as appropriate) within their area(s) of responsibility.
- Responsible for permissioning all movements of material (non-active or radioactive) within their area(s) of responsibility to take place.
- Undertake regular self-audits and task observation within their area(s) of responsibility to ensure that standards and expectations for EHSS&Q are being maintained.
- Shall be the authorised signatory to release their plant for maintenance to take place and then accept back into operations.
- Provide assurance that all compliance records are being recorded and managed correctly within their areas(s) of responsibility.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to demonstrate supervisory experience for operations undertaken within a nuclear plant.
- Degree qualified or holds HND in an equivalent discipline. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of stated qualifications
- Holds IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent as a minimum qualification. NEBOSH General Certificate would be desirable
- Evidence of self-motivation with demonstrable levels of drive, energy and resilience.
- Ability to demonstrate conservative decision making, even in pressure situations
- Experience in incident and emergency response
- Ability to communicate key information both verbal and written with customers, suppliers and stakeholders
- A thorough awareness of nuclear, conventional safety and security requirements applicable to their area(s) of responsibility
- Demonstrable knowledge of the operational & maintenance requirements associated with their area(s) of control
- Thorough awareness of Safety Case implementation methodology
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory