Functional Graduate Scheme - Commercial Trainee
Our Functional Graduate Scheme is a three-years three months programme in which you’ll be placed in a set team with a line manager in one of our corporate functions. When you join, we’ll give you a five-day induction so you can learn about NNL, the programme you’ll be following and, of course, what we expect from you.
From there, you’ll experience a number of training modules taking time out of the business to work on your development every two-three months. We’ll cover everything from time management and team working, to communication and presentation skills. You’ll be given a set amount of time each week that’s purely dedicated to work on your development. We’ll learn about you together.
Whilst you’re continually looking to personally develop throughout the training programme, you could find your next discovery whilst being involved in projects of global importance; surrounded by a support network of experts who want you to succeed.
The Commercial team in the National Nuclear Laboratory is responsible for the Company’s terms and conditions of contract, for pricing and for working with the Company’s Project Managers to manage customers so as to ensure that projects meet or exceed their expected margin and that risks are appropriately managed. In addition the team supports NNL’s scientific goals by ensuring that collaborative scientific activities are structured contractually according to NNL’s objectives. The team is identified as a key function to support NNL’s growth and has recently expanded significantly. Led by the Commercial Director, it comprises of Commercial Managers, Quantity Surveyors and Senior Commercial Officers.
The role, which will support members of the Commercial team, provides an excellent opportunity to gain a foundation in commercial skills including drafting and reviewing contracts, estimating and price build up, negotiation and collaborative working.
- To support members of the team with a variety of contracts placed across NNL’s portfolio, including national and international customers. This support includes resolving customer issues to time, cost and quality and pursuing opportunities where NNL can add value and drafting contract variations accordingly.
- Engage with other functions (eg Finance, Procurement, the Bid & Legal team etc.) across the business in a variety of locations regarding commercial matters.
- Preparation of regular reports on commercial activities for some of NNL’s biggest customers and for internal use.
- Assisting with the writing and reviewing of bids.
- Opportunities to lead a variety of smaller projects; for example process improvement activities.
The Ideal Candidate
- We’ll expect you to graduate or have graduated with a 2:1 or higher in a relevant subject.
- Demonstrable interest in business management
- Attention to detail and the ability to produce high quality ‘right first time’ work
- Balanced verbal and numerical reasoning skills
- Clear communication skills, a positive and professional approach, problem solving and the ability to work within a dynamic team.
- Appreciation of the UK nuclear industry; including Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal and Environmental factors.
National Nuclear Laboratory