Fuel PIE - Microscopist
The Post Irradiation Examination (PIE) team supports a number of large, long-term projects on behalf of several of NNL’s major customers. The team provides information on the performance of reactor materials supporting the on going operation of the UK Naval fleet, the UK’s AGR stations and a wider customer base. This role is primarily based at Windscale Laboratory, but may also include periods at Workington Laboratory or Central Laboratory.
The role requires the successful candidate to take responsibility for the microscopy (optical and electron) measurements performed on irradiated nuclear fuel in support of reactor safety cases and improvement of reactor operating conditions. The role also requires maintenance of existing microscopy techniques for the measurement of physical properties of irradiated fuel and materials. A key part of the role is to ensure that the technical quality of work is maintained.
- Information capture and analysis of metallographic data from irradiated fuels and materials using optical and electron microscopy.
- Undertake remote examinations, including the use of digital photography and micro/macroscopy.
- Operate and maintain remote experimental equipment used to measure the physical dimensions and properties of irradiated samples. Analyse and troubleshoot equipment operability, technical queries and performance issues.
- Support the development of new equipment and techniques for measurement and analysis.
- Maintain logbooks, data files and record sheets for sample testing and traceability.
- Input data into spreadsheets.
- Ensure all work is completed safely and accurately maintaining traceability and quality at all times.
The Ideal Candidate
- HNC in Materials Science/Metallurgy/Applied Physics or equivalent level of experience
- Microscopy experience (optical and/or electron microscopy)
- Experience within a technical environment involving the characterisation and/or inspection of material.
- SC Cleared (or ability to become so).
- Under the terms of NNL's Head Contract, this vacancy is open to UK nationals only, who are prepared to undergo clearance to SC level.
- Classified radiation worker with active area working experience.
- Previous experience of remote handling techniques would be an advantage.
- Aptitude for problem solving.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.