Experimental Run Controller
An opportunity exists within the Waste & Residues Processing Services business area across a number of thermal treatment projects. This may include involvement in the Vitrification Test Rig (VTR) and the Geomelt and HIP rigs currently operated by the team. Specifically, an ERC is dedicated to the planning and execution of experimental work on the rigs and supporting laboratory based projects.
You will be working within the Technical Team responsible for the planning, supervision and analysis of individual experimental campaigns, laboratory based supporting project work, information gathering, retention and reporting. As an ERC you will be the dedicated point of contact for each experimental campaign and will retain ownership of plant experiments and supporting laboratory projects through the four stages of definition, execution, analysis and reporting. Your role will include the planning and supervision of laboratory projects, further development of experimental work to be carried out by the dedicated Rig Operations Team and reporting of gathered data. Throughout all project work, you will be the Subject Matter Expert with responsibility for the supervision, coaching and development of supporting staff and a champion for safety and technical quality. As lead for your experiments, you will interface with the customer to define requirements, develop new ideas and plan and report experimental data; this will be achieved through direct one to one contact and attendance at customer meetings, such as Plant Support and Technical Committee meetings. With strong maintenance of links with others in the Technical Team, Laboratory Support Team and the Operations Team, you will ensure the success of experimental programmes and therefore, the continued success of the business area.
- Interfacing with customers to identify and develop project work.
- Definition of, and contribution to, campaign work proposals and experimental programmes.
- Assisting the Technical Lead(s) to derive experiments aimed at investigating key research tasks.
- Specification, execution and delivery of research projects including supervision of supporting team members.
- Organisation of analytical requirements for operational campaigns and experimental work within NNL and with external analysis suppliers.
- Liaison with Operations and Laboratory Teams, ensuring that the aims and objectives of experiments are being successfully met.
- Perform on-line analysis of plant and laboratory produced data.
- Undertake safety and quality audits on plant and in the laboratories.
- Investigate experimental events occurring during rig operations and carry out quick-time analysis, making changes where necessary.
- Collection of relevant data from plant software systems and ensuring that QA aspects of data collection and retention from all projects are robust.
- Interpretation of results/data and production of technical reports.
- Presentation of results to the wider business area team and customers through Technical Committee meetings.
- Maintenance of a timeline of NNLs thermal treatment support work.
- Identification and recommendation of areas of future work for the business area.
- Developing and maintaining own expertise in rig operations and supporting experimental work.
- Assistance in the development of new and junior team members.
- Gaining sufficient rig operations experience to act as a stand-in Operations Team Leader (OTL)/supervisor.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum Undergraduate degree in a relevant scientific subject; Chemistry, Physics etc.
- Minimum of three years experience in a technical capacity, ideally at lead or deputy lead level.
- Proven ability in experimental design, management and reporting.
- Demonstrable customer focus with the ability to interact at all levels.
- Proven ability to analyse data, specifically data produced by plant trending software.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and be a respected team member.
- Demonstrable positive attitude towards achieving high levels of safety and quality.
- Highly competent in Microsoft IT packages.
- Proven ability to interact with other departments and at higher level in, and outside of, own team.
- Masters degree in a relevant scientific subject; Chemistry, Physics etc.
- Ability to develop to deputise for the Technical Lead(s).
- Ability to develop to act as a stand-in Operations Team Leader/supervisor.
- Holder of various Key Safety Appointments, for example, Person Organising Work and Central Laboratory Safety Supervisor.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated microdrilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials.
National Nuclear Laboratory