The Waste & Residue Treatment team at Preston develops and implements bespoke processing routes for a wide variety of uranic residues from both UK and overseas customers. As these residues become ever more challenging there is now a requirement for a senior research technologist to act as an interface between laboratory technicians and senior technical and technical leads.
This role requires the individual to be able to provide technical input to the laboratory development work, data analysis and interpretation, define experimental programmes and produce technical reports.
Occasional laboratory and Pilot plant work may be required.
- Development of treatment methods for the clean-up of intractable wastes and residues primarily from the “front end” of the fuel cycle.
- Interpretation of analytical data produced to characterise intractable wastes and residues and define potential treatment processes.
- Provision of technical support to laboratory technicians and plant operators.
- Production of quality technical reports in line with company procedures.
- Production of safety case documentation (e.g. risk and CoSHH assessments etc.) and liaison with other disciplines and business groups to ensure work is completed to customer requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- Postgraduate qualification in a science or engineering discipline, or relevant qualification or relevant level of experience.
- Ability to define technical work and provide technical guidance to others.
- Knowledge of analytical techniques and interpretation of results including laboratory data.
- Good communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to work in a contact area.
- Ability to plan and organise work activities.
- Practical laboratory experience or similar and willingness to operate in a variety of areas.
- Willingness to develop into role.
- Knowledge of nuclear and actinide chemistry.
- Computer literacy, e.g. MS Word and Excel, including data manipulation.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.