We are the National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL), a national laboratory for Government, academia and industry. We play a pivotal role in the UK and global nuclear sector, providing technical support and delivering a full range of research and technology across all areas of the nuclear fuel cycle.
We are currently looking for a Building Manager based at our Preston Laboratory.
The Building Manager is a position of authority within NNL, supporting the Infrastructure Leader to ensure the company's continued compliance to all regulations governing the nuclear industry and Site Licence Conditions. The role holder shall be accountable for ensuring that the arrangements for all Facilities under their management comply with all relevant environmental, health, safety, security and management system requirements in order to allow occupancy by people.
- Ensures compliance against all Fire Safety Regulations and manages the Fire Risk Assessment applicable to their area(s) of responsibility
- Ensures all fire/building drawings and fire-fighting equipment within their area(s) of responsibility are regularly maintained and fit for use
- Ensures compliance against Legionella Regulations and manages the Legionella Risk Assessment for their area(s) of responsibility
- Ensures compliance to the Asbestos Regulations and manages the Asbestos Risk Assessment and Asbestos Management Plan applicable to their area(s) of responsibility
- Responsible for the management of the Register of Environmental Effects pertinent to their area(s) of responsibility
- Shall take the lead Building Controller role during core facility hours and lead the response team at the Building Control Point should the team be mobilised
- Accountable for ensuring the nominated building control point(s) within their facilities are maintained in in a state of continual readiness for emergency response
- Accountable for defining and managing all emergency evacuation routes and associated warning signs and both preparing and managing the signs and signals register for their area(s) of responsibility
- Responsible for managing building access/egress arrangements within their area(s) of responsibility
- Keep up to date with the latest building and planning regulations and provide assurance their area(s) of responsibility maintain compliance
- Responsible as Owner for the upkeep and control of all relevant Infrastructure Compliance owned documentation relevant to their area(s) of responsibility
- Shall have delegated financial authority from the Infrastructure Leader and be responsible for management of the budget for items identified as falling under their remit
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience of managing nuclear safety, conventional safety, environmental, welfare and security requirements in a Building Management capacity.
- Compliance professional, educated to HNC level (or equivalent), with extensive practical & relevant experience in a compliance role.
- Holds IOSH Managing Safely or equivalent as a minimum qualification.
- Must demonstrate an ability to analyse and interpret complex information from several, sometimes conflicting sources, with a proven problem solving ability in order to make decisions based upon this information
- Highly motivated with the ability to communicate concepts to diverse audiences with varying skills
- Ability to remain calm under stressful circumstances
- Ability to influence and negotiate with NNL employees and external stakeholders
- Ability to demonstrate supervisory experience for operations undertaken within a nuclear plant
- Experience in incident and emergency response, particularly in Building Control duties
- Demonstrable knowledge of the operational & maintenance requirements associated with their area(s) of control
- Requirement to become appointed as a Building Controller
- Requirement to be appointed as a Fire Responsible Officer
- Requirement to be appointed as a Legionella Coordinator
- Requirement to be appointed as an Asbestos Coordinator
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory