Application Support Engineer
The NNL is transforming the way in which IT in the NNL will be delivered and is looking to create a customer facing, technology focused team which is well positioned to meet the changing requirements of the NNL. To achieve this, there is a need for the IT team to engage more proactively with the business to understand exactly what is required and to create a clear roadmap to meet those requirements.
The Application Engineer will support and encourage an uptake in DevOps methodology across the NNL Application Landscape. This includes building a familiarity with existing NNL Applications to be able to Support, Configure and Develop these existing Applications. They will also establish and maintain the same procedures for new Applications as they are Developed by business areas to meet business requirements; supporting and working alongside these teams as a subject matter expert. They will understand the context of the business application landscape as well as the interdependencies between these applications. The role will enable end-user and technical-user training; encourage a “shift-left” approach of handing tasks to business teams and ensuring that business teams are able to use their applications to their full potential. The role will work within the Application Support team reporting to the Application Support and Training Leader.
The Application Support Engineer will be required to:
- Practice a DevOps approach to supporting and developing a variety of Applications (based on a variety of technologies) across NNL;
- Provide a mix of 2nd and 3rd line support across NNL’s business application landscape;
- Follow documented processes and procedures for carrying out Application Development and Operations;
- Understand the business application landscape and how these applications support business processes;
- Comprehend business requirements from a DevOps view and work with the wider IT team (including Solution Architects and Infrastructure) to agree the most suitable solution; and
- Follow documented processes in running through the development lifecycle – including appropriate usage of different runtime environments (Build, Test, Production &c)
- Document standard fixes and pass these to the IT Service Desk (shift left);
- Support the uptake of DevOps methodology and tooling across various technical business areas; and
Work to high operational development standards whilst ensuring appropriate Security practices and processes are followed.
The Ideal Candidate
The Application Support Engineer will have:
- Eligibility for security clearance to SC and be a UK national;
- A demonstrable track record and experience in an Application Operations and Development role;
- Experience of working with contemporary methodology frameworks (e.g. DevOps Lean, Agile &c);
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements;
- Strong analytical skills applied to understanding business functionality and translating them into application requirements;
- Experience of working with both Enterprise grade applications (e.g. ERP, Oracle) as well as Applications developed internally to meet business requirements;
- Ability to understand business complexity and application interdependencies;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of setting and managing customer expectations;
- Experience of working with third-party suppliers and partners;
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot problems that may arise;
- Familiarity of the software development lifecycle;
- Demonstrable experience in writing application requirements and test specifications;
- Self-motivated, proactive and customer focused with excellent organisational skills;
- Familiarity of using - and preferably deploying - DevOps utilities and toolsets (Puppet, Git, Azure, &c) into an existing Application landscape;
- Have an understanding of a variety of Application languages (e.g. .NET, Python, PHP, Java, C++,);
- Familiar with database, scripting and automation languages (SQL, DB2, shell, Lua, Go); and
- Comfortable managing small scale projects to time and budget if required.
About the Company
We play a key role in the UK and global nuclear industry. That means reducing the cost of clean-up and decommissioning, maintaining critical skills and attracting talented new people to the industry. We're the only UK organisation with the skills, facilities and expertise to provide technical support to all aspects of the nuclear industry. What's more, we pride ourselves on offering quality, value and service to every one of our customers.
National Nuclear Laboratory